About 3 months ago, a bird built a nest on my front porch. This little bird built her home precariously on the small ledge of a column on the front porch. I wish I would have seen her building the nest so that I could have knocked it down before she put so much effort into the nest. Unfortunately, I did not notice it until she had laid her 4 little eggs.
Now, I do not like birds. I know this makes me weird, but they poop on you, and your clean car, fly at you, and are just very unpredictable little creatures. All this being said, I am not a monster and could not bring myself to remove the nest with the eggs still in it.
Let's fast forward a couple of months. The eggs have hatched and momma bird has taught the little ones how to fly. They are taking day trips and returning at night. One night, I needed to go outside after dark to water my flowers. I glanced out the window to see all 5 birds in the small nest. I carefully opened the front door and quickly shut the door so they wouldn't fly in the house. All birds were watching me. Then all of a sudden...... BIRDS WERE FLYING AT ME!!!
That night I decided to give the little ones 2 more weeks and then while they were out I would knock the nest down. Well, today marks 2 weeks. This morning while all the birds were out I knocked their home down and have cleaned up all the nasty bird poop left on the front porch. Although, I am happy they are gone, I still feel somewhat guilty that I destroyed their home.
14 years ago

5 comments:
LAURA YOU ARE SO MEAN!!! You need to read my friend Jennifer's blog (linked on my page) and comment about what you did. We need to chat about the importance of nature. Ask me about Gertrude sometime.
I can't wait to get the Gertrude story! I do feel bad, but they are "big birds" now and need to spread their wings and fly! I am just helping them leave the nest, find a new home, a new job and be productive little birdies! So if you think of it that way, I actually did them a favor! -In a very round about way. :)
Once a kindergarten teacher, always a kindergarten teacher, huh?
I never knew we shared a dislike for birds. I've always been afraid of being pooped on.
I think you did these birds a favor. I mean if you didn't "cut the cord" who was going to? These birds would still be livin with mama when they're 30.
Sad, sad, sad! I will not pass judgement since I've never had a bird build a nest anywhere there could be a "mess" involved. We did have a beautiful robin build a nest in the arbor over our deck this spring. She laid eggs and we wanted to watch their every move (you know teachable moment for Karsen) so we installed a webcam. We watched as the momma bird protected her little blue eggs during spring storms full of rain, wind and hail. The eggs hatched but sadly none of the baby birds made it. My husband even cried.
If you want to borrow our weather proof webcam next year when you get another nest, let me know.
But don't worry about your 5 birds. They will find a new shelter - don't be surprised if momma tries to rebuild where the old nest was...
Post a Comment