Thursday, October 30, 2008

Need or Want?

Question... Is money a need or a want? My class is studying needs and wants and at the end of our little discussion a child asked about money. The class was split. 8 thinking it is a want, and 11 saying that it is a need. My first impulse was to say that it is a need. You need money to pay your bills, get groceries, and provide for your basic needs. Thankfully, I waited before I shared my thoughts. I had the kids choose if it was a want or a need and then sit on opposite sides of our carpet. We had a little mini debate. Each child sharing why they thought it was a need or a want. I must say my little 6 year olds are quite persuasive!
I learned so much from my kids! I learned that if you need something, a anything, ask one of my kids. They will pretty much give you whatever you need no questions asked. One child even went as far as telling us that homeless people who only own a box and a backpack don't need money. They can get free food from people, and clothes from the clothes closet at a church. Have I mentioned lately how cool my little kiddos are? It was so mesmerising to see them actually debating the topic and backing up their opinions!
Moral of this story: Before you speak your opinion, listen to a kid opinion.
My question for my blogger buddies is what do you think? Is money a need or a want?

2 comments:

Megan said...

Hm. I agree w/ you. I think money is a need...but then I can see people in other countries (or people who raise their own food, etc, then barter, etc). But, I think in middle class America, money is a need. We have to buy food, pay for a place to live, buy clothes. :o0 Very cool teaching moment. Don't you love those?

Jana said...

I think money is a need. You need money for food, clothes, a place to live, an education. In my world I need money to buy things I need and occassionally things I want!